Up-to-the-minute financial news from various sources
News and comment
Welcome to your on-line financial newsletter. This service is regularly updated to bring you news of important developments in financial matters.
The news stories on this page have been written and produced by a third party and neither nor its representatives can be held responsible for the accuracy of the content/information contained within these stories.
Citywire Investment News
- Overnight Markets: Wall Street little changed as deal news offsets data
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 05:31:43 +0100
Investors' optimism was limited by the day's economic data, which showed pending home sales unexpectedly fell 1.1% in June.
- Tuesday Papers: ?Reprehensible? Lloyds under fire from Carney
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 05:28:42 +0100
And the IMF has raised concerns about rising pounds despite a strong rebound in UK economy.
- Expert View: Hargreaves Lansdown, Mothercare and Cranswick
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 05:01:00 +0100
Our daily roundup of the best analyst commentary on shares, also including Anglo American and Great Portland Estates.
- Opportunities remain in tech despite recent pullback
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 00:01:00 +0100
With computer giant Microsoft to axe up to 18,000 jobs, the technology sector is once again under the spotlight and raising concern among investors
FT.com - Your Pension
- US pensions: follow the cash
Sun, 27 Jul 2014 16:01:19 GMT
In the complex world of pension accounting, low interest rates can hurt funding status even if a provider?s investment gains are big
- Pension framework encourages innovation
Sun, 27 Jul 2014 07:21:58 GMT
The goal is to ensure the next generation of retirees is not left exposed to events that can wipe away their life savings, writes François Robinet
- New crackdown on pension ?liberation?
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:39:30 GMT
Almost £500m and at least one life lost to pension scams, says regulator as new campaign launched
- QA: How the pension shake-up affects you
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:24:14 GMT
The government releases further details about changes giving savers full flexibility over how they access their pension pots
Citywire Money, Tax and Property
- How to prevent a midlife mortgage crisis
Wed, 16 Jul 2014 11:31:28 +0100
As lenders clamp down on affordability, borrowers in their 40s and 50s are finding it harder to secure a mortgage.
- Borrowers may have to repay mortgages with pensions
Fri, 20 Jun 2014 09:00:00 +0100
Interest-only borrowers could be forced to use their pensions to pay their home loans, Age UK has warned.
- Homeowners could buy more state pension
Tue, 17 Jun 2014 09:57:48 +0100
Health minister Paul Burstow says pensioners should be allowed to use the equity in their homes to buy more state pension.
- Could a home 'equity bank' help boost pensions?
Fri, 13 Jun 2014 09:00:00 +0100
A think-tank has urged the government to set up a state-backed equity release scheme to enable more pensioners to tap into the value of their homes.
BBC Business News
- China regulators in Microsoft visit
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 02:28:45 GMT
Microsoft confirms that officials from the Chinese regulatory body responsible for enforcing business laws have visited some of its offices.
- The 'mistake' behind a top handbag firm
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:03:15 GMT
How did Michael Jackson help inspire a handbag firm?
- Nollywood finds its global audience online
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:01:53 GMT
Nigeria's film industry finds new audiences online
- Lloyds fined £218m over Libor
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:22:32 GMT
Lloyds Banking Group is fined £218m for "serious misconduct" relating to key interest rates including Libor.
- Israel warns of 'prolonged' Gaza war
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 04:32:24 GMT
Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu warns of a "prolonged" military campaign in Gaza, following an upsurge of violence from both sides.
- US: Russia 'violated missile treaty'
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 04:04:14 GMT
Russia has violated an arms treaty by testing a nuclear cruise missile, the US says, as Barack Obama discusses sanctions on Russia over the Ukraine crisis.
- UN blacklists N Korea arms ship firm
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 03:53:30 GMT
The UN blacklists the operator of a North Korean ship seized near the Panama Canal in July 2013 with undeclared Cuban weapons on board.
- VIDEO: Algeria flight 'asked to turn back'
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 03:44:07 GMT
The French Foreign Minister, Laurent Fabius, has confirmed that the pilots of a plane that crashed in Mali last Thursday had asked for a change of course.